permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [compost_tea] Aquaponics Biology

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [compost_tea] Aquaponics Biology
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 20:40:34 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Elaine Ingham soilfoodweb@aol.com [compost_tea] <
compost_tea@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 6:50 PM
Subject: Re: [compost_tea] Aquaponics Biology
To: compost_tea@yahoogroups.com

I think it is important to reduce disease organisms at EVERY stage of their
life cycle, not just one.

Nature never goes after just one part of the life cycle in order to make
sure the disease problem remains minimal. Nature sends predators to deal
with all stages of the life cycle. So.....remember to make certain the
food web is in place and functioning, so the eggs of the borer will be
dealt with ----- where does CBB lay it's eggs? How do the eggs make it
through the dry season, assuming the insect lays its eggs just as the plant
enter the less vibrant growing period of the year.

When do the eggs hatch? Most insects have several stages of juvenile, or
larval, development. Where do those larvae live? In the soil, on the tree
surfaces, in organic matter? What predators can be relied on to reduce
that larval food resource?

Larvae molt into adults --- when does that take place? Where? And what
predators can we make sure are out there to enjoy a feast when the prey is
occupied with molting? Then how can we disrupt mating? Hormones,
pheromones, behavior? Applying Beauveria in the very places that the
molting is most likely to occur?

So ALL stages need to be examined, and the appropriate "helpers" allowed to
be present so reductions occur throughout hte life cycle, not just at one
point. We will fail if we focus that narrowly on just once stage. Work
the way nature works........but we first have to know how nature works......

Elaine R. Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc. Soil Life Consultant
Since I travel a great deal, please consider that I may miss e-mails so if
I don't answer within 3 days, please try again.