permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [compost_tea] Compost around LaCrosse

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [compost_tea] Compost around LaCrosse
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 20:42:42 -0400

Compost extract!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Elaine Ingham soilfoodweb@aol.com [compost_tea] <
compost_tea@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 6:39 PM
Subject: Re: [compost_tea] Compost around LaCrosse
To: compost_tea@yahoogroups.com

Hey Tom ---

Purple Cow compost is often good (85% of the time, I'd say) ---- good
fungi, protozoa, nematodes. They do have their "opps" composts though, so
getting the microscope out to check it is important. Also, storage
conditions can destroy the biology, so can't always blame the compost
maker......

the amount of time that has to go into compost tea is why I prefer to make
compost EXTRACT rather than tea. Basically, just extract the organisms
straight from the compost by vigorous massaging of the compost. Treat the
compost just exactly like a human muscle that is sore and needs a good
massage. No wringing, no sand paper motion, no scrubbing motions, just
massage. Vigorous massage. About 30 seconds for a pound of compost is
what is needed to extract the organisms. Then apply the compost extract.

Tea has to be made if the application is to establish the right sets of
organisms on the plant surfaces aboveground. The organisms need to be
growing, making glues and holding on instantly, in order to stick and stay
on the surfaces aboveground.

But when applied to soil, not necessary to instantly stick! So, compost
extract works fine, and less work.

so, I encourage you to make extracts when applying to most things --- soil,
water, compost, mulch, etc. Tea only if you have to deal with pests and
disease organisms on plant (or animal) surfaces.

Elaine R. Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc. Soil Life Consultant
Since I travel a great deal, please consider that I may miss e-mails so if
I don't answer within 3 days, please try again.