permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [compost_tea] Aquaponics Biology

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [compost_tea] Aquaponics Biology
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 21:22:11 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: gcesinc@yahoo.com [compost_tea] <compost_tea@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 11:16 PM
Subject: [compost_tea] Aquaponics Biology
To: compost_tea@yahoogroups.com

Hi all, first post to the group so pardon the newbie questions. First off
let me say that one of my goals is to qualify to become a soil foodweb
consultant concentrating my efforts within the Caribbean region and South
America, home is Barbados. Given my aspirations, I'm constantly seeking
opportunities to apply the knowledge gained from the soilfoodweb courses to
real world scenarios. Recently I've been working with one of my clients who
installed his first Aquaponics raft system, it's a design based on the Dr.
James Rakocy design but geared towards veg production vs fish. While still
relatively young, I believe around 5-6 months old, it had reached a point
where they were producing 6-7 week lettuce consistently. Unfortunately the
productivity was short lived. Growth soon slowed in lettuce varieties that
had previously grown vigorously while other plants like the mustards, kale
and even brassicas seemed to be grow vigorously. Eager to assist I offered
to take a look at the root systems of a couple varieties of lettuce,
however am now wondering, given the completely submerged nature of these
root systems, is it realistic for me to expect to see biology consistent
with that of compost. Will bacteria, fungi, nematodes, amoeba and micro
arthropods able to thrive in such an environment? As I haven't yet
purchased a DO meter I haven't been able to verify DO levels, however I
understand they should be maintained at around of 6 ppm in the grow bed.
Leading me to believe the biology could compare to that of a compost tea
brewer. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Justin

__._,_.___
------------------------------
Posted by: gcesinc@yahoo.com
------------------------------
• Reply to sender
<gcesinc@yahoo.com?subject=Re%3A%20Aquaponics%20Biology> • Reply
to group <compost_tea@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Aquaponics%20Biology>
• Start a New Topic
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/compost_tea/conversations/newtopic;_ylc=X3oDMTJldjZpbDluBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc1MjcyMDgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3NDE4NjIwBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTQ0MDA0MDU2OQ-->
• Messages in this topic
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/compost_tea/conversations/topics/30899;_ylc=X3oDMTM2NjJibnBpBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc1MjcyMDgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3NDE4NjIwBG1zZ0lkAzMwODk5BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTQ0MDA0MDU2OQR0cGNJZAMzMDg5OQ-->
(1)
Visit Your Group
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/compost_tea/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJlMXZrYzl1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc1MjcyMDgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA3NDE4NjIwBHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTQ0MDA0MDU2OQ-->

- New Members