permaculture - [permaculture] Utah Water Harvesting

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jason Gerhardt <jasongerhardt@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Utah Water Harvesting
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 18:18:55 -0700

I've been working on water harvesting change in Utah (Moab specifically)
lately and they are getting their first rains since the gardens went in.
Here's a 60 second video of a section of the demo-gardens at Utah State
University-Moab in a rain storm:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=881100721922076&set=vb.464355046929981&type=3&theater

Moab gets 9 inches of rain a year if lucky. Trying to change the paradigm
that water harvesting is good for drought and flood events. Currently have
some Moab City Council members talking to the governor to encourage more
change. Here in Colorado, Adam Brock and I are presenting to the State
Legislature this week to encourage water harvesting legislative changes.
Seeds are being planted.

More info can be found about the Utah projects here:
https://www.facebook.com/UsuExtensionSustainability/timeline?ref=page_internal
And here: http://realearthdesign.com/projects/usumoab/

The list has been quiet lately, what have people been working on?

--
Jason Gerhardt

www.realearthdesign.com

720-496-9744