permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Flow Hive: Honey on Tap Directly From Your Beehive | Indiegogo

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Linda Shewan" <linda_shewan@yahoo.com.au>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Flow Hive: Honey on Tap Directly From Your Beehive | Indiegogo
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 10:05:42 +1100

Do the research. I am embarrassed that I initially thought this was amazing
until I read and thought deeper...

Jonathon Powell of England puts it clearly:

But comb is far more than a tupperware container for somebody else’s lunch;
it is the tissue and frame of the hive and as such it forms multiple
functions. Cells have wall thicknesses of just 0.07mm, and are made from over
300 different chemical components. Wax removes toxins from the honey. The
resonant frequency (230-270 Hz) of the comb is matched to the bees’ vibration
sensors and acts as an information highway between bees on opposite sides of
the comb. Bees manage the temperature of the cell rims to optimize
transmissions of these messages. Wax holds history and memory via chemical
signals put into it by the bees. Its smell and condition aid the bee in
managing the hive. It assists in the ripening and conditioning the honey and
is the first line of defence against pathogens. Honey bees are able to
recognize the smallest differences in wax composition for good reason. Wax is
not polypropylene…..Over the last 100 years bee health has declined with
every new beekeeping innovation. The principle reason is that most
innovations focus on exploitation for honey harvesting and/or suppressing the
preference of the bee. In this respect the Flow Hive is no different. Honey
is a blessing and a curse for the bee.

In facebook search on Flow Hive and you will find a lot more thoughtful
comments.

Linda