permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The 4th Ethic

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Michael Pilarski <friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The 4th Ethic
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 09:33:01 -0700 (PDT)

Toby, Thanks for the comments.

Your reply reminds me of one way the ethics are stated.

1. Care of Earth
2. Care of People
3. Dispersal of surplus to above ends.

 Of course each of these ethics are unpacked in great detail during a pdc.

Michael "Skeeter" Pilarski

On Monday, March 24, 2014 8:56 AM, Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
wrote:

When I talk about the 3rd ethic, I give a brief history, saying that I've
never found "share the surplus" able to get at the heart of it--we're not
just giving it away randomly. I tell classes that I prefer "return (or
reinvest) the surplus" as it suggests that we need to give the yield back to
the systems--the earth and the people--that provided it, and this
reinvestment is what supports them. I have a graphic with arrows going to and
from 3 circles, the circles being  earth, people, and surplus, showing that
all three support one another.

And I also mention the original "set limits" idea.

Thanks, Robin, for the specifics of who said what when. Skeeter, thanks, too.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com

On Mar 24, 2014, at 7:15 AM, Michael Pilarski <friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Here is what I tell my pdc students when the 3rd ethic is discussed.  I
> mention all the permutations of the 3rd ethic, including the term "fair
> share".  Most people are anthropocentric and at first hearing the term
> think of sharing among humans.  I point out that fair share also applies to
> homo sapiens sharing the planet in a fair way with all the other species we
> share the planet with. Which is where the limits to growth and consumption
> comes in.
>
> Humans are using too much of the planet for their own ends and have pushed
> many species to extinction or the edge of extinction.  We need to make more
> room for the other species to survive and thrive.  We need to use less of
> the land for agriculture and grazing our domestic livestock.  We need to
> fish less of the world's oceans.  We need to walk more lightly as a
> species.
>
> Permaculture gives us land use patterns that are more able to accommodate
> wild creatures in the same space as humans.
>

>  Michael Pilarski
>

> On Monday, March 24, 2014 7:37 AM, Chris Carnevale
> <c.s.carnevale@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This is invaluable information to be having documented. There was a
> thread on this listserv not long ago about the third ethic and I
> remember reading someone say that "fair share" was adopted just to fit
> into the rhyming scheme of the other two. After reading that it is
> descended from "/to recognise and establish limits to growth and
> consumption and disperse surplus to support care of the earth and care
> of people,"/ "fair share" seems to be a much better distillation of the
> idea than simply "share the surplus." Robyn, I believe your
> interpretation of implications is correct. And Steve, I agree the two
> phrases have two very different meanings.
>
> Chris Carnevale
>

> On 3/24/14, 2:10 AM, Steve Hart wrote:
>> Thanks Robyn for a clarification. My experience in observing the many
>> teaching patterns wherever I go is that there is as I've been beating on
>> about like Scotty far too many willing teachers who offered a very
>> distorted perspective to this 3rd ethic. With the tremendous work being
>> done by the collective of energies around Europe in the EPT series of
>> conferences much of this clarification is vital and desperately needed. I
>> have used primarily your curriculum as a basis for all levels of teaching
>> but do personally enjoy elements of the original curricula which I once had
>> from my course in 1981 and follow up courses with Bill, Max and Lea. I also
>> like Skeeta and Scotty perhaps resonate with the original. To me "Share of
>> Surplus" and "Fair Share" have two totally different meanings.
>>
>> Perhaps a full paper on the 3rd ethic will help considerably to support the
>> best dissemination of the subject into the new teaching world. ...Steve
>> Hart
>>

>> On 24 March 2014 05:39, Robyn Francis <robyn@permaculture.com.au> wrote:

> [...]

h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to:content-type;
bhO0xqkTjmcXYSuMotutTrMgwTYPlw7A2ODIYOiV8pg=;
b=LzSEgf8nGFaCoTGt1QIS4pSDPFRWS5Z2xqwwMl5tip2pDVE4M9oUYjzG+8RGaz8607
JF93PjNhA1k2qfORdqtXjFopwLMKi2NbZ1JFniHoS0EVBB/vApDfYMxYkESmCw7IJEyn
tVr60GkBxc+Qy8VsZI7C05q6sG6hJ8B//AVqnrAnCT/hqyRpDOPfHdqxGquBpEiT121s
hGR+WcK0kays/90B97B7Lst3O1of1NlgwSRHd0lADGQuX/u1YGB6i3Z4dYd1MwkylolL
9c2MR+2iy/V1vzSwckCOGjpZ6mJLUcnjUwaLSTMAGRStAKJMaNf0Dep8bb1/V+o8luiP
ay3Q=X-Received: by 10.60.44.135 with SMTP id
e7mr2811780oem.63.1395685390978; Mon,
24 Mar 2014 11:23:10 -0700 (PDT)