permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The 4th Ethic

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Michael Pilarski <friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The 4th Ethic
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 19:26:14 -0700 (PDT)

Here are answers to some of the questions posed in this thread.

The pdc curriculum which is published on Scott Pittman's website is the
compilation of two of Mollison's curriculums. 1) Bill Mollison's first
curriculum.  It has not changed since 1982 when I got a copy for my first
course.  2) Bill Mollison's Dryland PDC curriculum.  I took the first course
that Bill ever taught with the Drylands curriculum, which was in 1986 in
eastern Washington state.  Those two curricula were lumped together, which is
why it is so heavy on drylands.

The 3rd pc ethic was taught to me in 1982 as "Dispersal of Surplus". I do not
recall whether the byline "Set limits to population and consumption" was
introduced to me in 1982 or later.  Since then many people have stated the
3rd ethic as "Fair Share".

I think that Dispersal of Surplus as an ethic sounded too communist for many
people and evoked images of dismantling the estates of millionaires and
billionaires.  And Bill, being the revolutionary he is, may have intended it
that way.

Michael "Skeeter" Pilarski
Permaculture - Wildcrafting - Medicinal Herbs & Seeds

Sign up for my newsletter at www.friendsofthetrees.net
www.facebook.com/michael.skeeter.pilarski

On Sunday, March 23, 2014 11:40 AM, Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>