permaculture - [permaculture] The 4th Ethic

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Hart <stevenlawrencehart@gmail.com>
  • To: Scott Pittman <scott@permaculture.org>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Rakesh B <rakeshaji@gmail.com>, Leo Bakx <leo@aardwerk.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] The 4th Ethic
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 09:17:20 +0100

Thanks for that Scotty

This brings up memory....you say

"At some point the fourth ethic was
dropped from the teaching of permaculture and that ethic, *reduction of*
*population and consumerism*, was and is critical to our future path."

I too like yourself have issue with the diversion of the 3rd Ethic which
has always been from the beginning "Share the Surplus" not the watered down
version "Fair Share" which has an entirely different meaning

As you also say

" Not the watered down version of permaculture
that is currently being flogged by to many incompetent teachers and
practitioners but the version that I believe was envisioned by Bill
Mollison's anger and David Holmgren's thoughtfulness"

I continue the challenge to re-right this ship which is sinking fast
already listing badly, by plugging effort into the European Permaculture
Teachers ( perma*teachers*.*eu )* series of conferences. IMO it is critical
to get a recognised firm curricula (
http://www.permaculture.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/PDC-Outline.pdf )
as one basis for teaching. Then of course build an entity to develop and
support the standards to maintain all this.

Scotty, I'd like to see your paragraph on the detailed explanation of the
3rd & 4th ethic, to share amongst all

Warm ones ...
Kia ora

[image: Picture]