permaculture - Re: [permaculture] help Eric Toensmeier write his new book

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: christopher nesbitt <christopher.nesbitt@mmrfbz.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] help Eric Toensmeier write his new book
  • Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 09:57:10 -0600

Eric,

This sounds like a great project!

If you have time, come visit us. We are working on a manual for farmers on
turning damaged land into stacked polycultures. Our farm was an abandoned
citrus and cattle farm in 1988, and we now manage over 500 species of plants
on 22 acres (out of 70), and are expanding. We have been doing this for the
last 24 years.

We used a series of plants, pioneer species, cover crops, annuals with long
term species interplanted. We get yields within 4 months and then in
perpetuity. Part of the farm take very little work to maintain, and provide a
LOT of goods and services.

Right now we are consolidating a lot of the farm by using the understory we
have created to plant out rare cultivars of cacao we found deep in the Maya
Mountains at Maya sites. These are relic Maya cultigens left behind after
their collapse.

There is a lot going on here, so if you have questions, please feel free to
ask them.

Best wishes,

Christopher

Christopher Nesbitt