permaculture - Re: [permaculture] types of woods and their uses

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Neil Bertrando <neilbertrando@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] types of woods and their uses
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 08:34:10 -0800

to add a little balance to the conversation,

disturbance is a natural process and a prerequisite for growth.

lack of disturbance leads to excessive buildup of energy which is often
catastrophic when released.

as conscious participants in ecology, one of our roles is to manage
disturbance for the benefit of the whole system.

taking trees down can be as beneficial as planting them.

some American Indian Tribes did this with fire, now we can use fire, steel,
grazing, and other tools in our tool kit.

patchy landscape mosaics are often more productive than huge areas of
forest or prairie (edgey landscapes), and both have values in the whole

duration, frequency and intensity (i.e. timing and magnitude) are factors
that regulate the effects of a disturbance. also check out the brittleness
scale and related effects of disturbance a la Holistic Management.

best of luck with your decisions, actions, and response to feedback