permaculture - Re: [permaculture] types of woods and their uses

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Frances and David" <fdnokes@hotmail.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] types of woods and their uses
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 20:27:50 -0800

This actually happened in our neighbourhood.
A lot was close to cleared! And then, in a freakish storm, so many other trees came down in a neighbouring lot
It took a lot of talking to try and get the town bureaucrats to understand this connection (their response was to want to cut down a lot more trees in pubic space in order to prevent this problem rather than acknowledging that by allowing a huge clearing on a particular lot, the damage to the trees infrastructure occurred. Apparently, the underground infrastructure is key as is the trees natural sense of which trees are on the outside and the types of relative holding power invested therein. As in, the tree on the outside gets the stronger resistance to the wind.
Fran
P.S. One of the trees in our yard in question is a questionable choice originally, given its proximity to the house. Yet the house stands solidly and the birds have not complained either...
P.P.S. Oh, it is a hard one! This culling of trees. Took me a long time as a librarian, too, to face up to the task of culling of books, and yet, it does offer vitality to what remains, allowing what still stands to shine forth more brightly... I have found, in my pruning experience, that the plants actually value the attention... Perhaps this evolution is meant to happen in harmony, plant and animals with people, and not alone.

-----Original Message----- From: John D'hondt