permaculture - Re: [permaculture] types of woods and their uses

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] types of woods and their uses
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:04:06 -0500

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Frances and David <fdnokes@hotmail.com>wrote:

> What I am contemplating is that this is a golden opportunity to learn more
> about trees’ woods and what they work well for...
> Which ones are good for huglekultur (sp?), composting,

Everything except cedar, cypress, locust, walnut, fir and a few others,
which go into the category below, would work fine in a Huglekultur mound

> fungi/rot barrier,

all varieties of cedar and cypress, locust, walnut, fir, white oak, red
oak, live oak

> carving into eating implements, utensils, buttons, etc. (My mind is a
> little frozen at the moment)

The cedars and cypresses, spruce and fir are all valuable woods for
furniture and are prized for use in a house, decorative, durable, stable,
rare and expensive

maple, poplar, pine are also good for housebuilding and furniture