permaculture - Re: [permaculture] nutrition -- sprouted kamut bread

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] nutrition -- sprouted kamut bread
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 14:09:39 -0400

On 10/28/2012 1:28 PM, Frances and David wrote:

My husband and I met at a health food collective in Winnipeg about 30
years ago. Have investigated much information on food, both eating

That must have been a great start for your relationship, a good environment, nurturing in positive directions.

and preparation, since then. Right now, we’re excited about kamut
sprout bread that we are making. Taking grains and soaking, then
rinsing and letting sit in the dark for about 3 days or so until two
sprouts are formed, is a way of altering the grain chemistry and
nutritive content that makes it more beneficial for eating. We take
the sprouts and grind them down in a food processor. From there, we
knead into loaves and let sit to ferment for several hours.
Sourdough! From there, we put in the oven on parchment paper at 225
F for an hour. Then, we remove from the parchment paper and baking
sheets and let sit on the racks of he oven with the heat off for a
while.

This is great information and thanks. Can spelt be used this way? rye? barley? a mix of these + kamut? what about quinoa?

For those with wheat allergy sprouting probably won't make it edible for you and that includes making rejuvelac with the soaked sprouts.

LL