permaculture - [permaculture] nutrition -- sprouted kamut bread

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Frances and David" <fdnokes@hotmail.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] nutrition -- sprouted kamut bread
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 10:28:55 -0700

I’m reading with some interest the thread on nutrition. My studies have taken
me to various places in eating. Here are some principles that have come
through to me over time:
* nutritive content and chemistry are both important aspects of what we eat
* not everybody is the same – food affects people differently (one man’s meat
is another man’s poison!)
* no food information is ‘solid’ – the same food can affect the same person
differently at different times, and certain diets can be helpful for a while,
some even for a very long while, but ultimately, other types of inputs may be
necessary over time to address imbalances
* yes, the body gives signals and the more we are willing to eat for our
health the more the signals become fine tuned and helpful to us

My husband and I met at a health food collective in Winnipeg about 30 years
ago. Have investigated much information on food, both eating and
preparation, since then.
Right now, we’re excited about kamut sprout bread that we are making. Taking
grains and soaking, then rinsing and letting sit in the dark for about 3 days
or so until two sprouts are formed, is a way of altering the grain chemistry
and nutritive content that makes it more beneficial for eating. We take the
sprouts and grind them down in a food processor. From there, we knead into
loaves and let sit to ferment for several hours. Sourdough! From there, we
put in the oven on parchment paper at 225 F for an hour. Then, we remove from
the parchment paper and baking sheets and let sit on the racks of he oven
with the heat off for a while.

Frances