permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [SANET-MG] Achieving High Nutrient Levels in Crops

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [SANET-MG] Achieving High Nutrient Levels in Crops
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 20:02:21 -0400

On 10/27/2012 4:22 PM, Toby Hemenway wrote:
LL et al,

Thanks for re-posting this. Getting nutrient-rich food is a
challenge, as Michael writes, because 1) soil mineral content is hard
to assess without testing; 2) we then need to test to see if those
minerals are getting into our plants and 3) vegetables are generally
not bred for maximum nutrient content, so it's hard to know which
varieties are nutrient-rich. So, to get around these challenges, in
addition to adding rock dusts, etc. to soils to up the mineral
content, I've been recently converted to the diet philosophies of
MD's like Joel Fuhrman and John McDougall, who have written books
about a nutrient-rich diet. Their basic idea--and, duh, it was a
lightbulb going off for me--is to eat large proportions of foods that
have high nutrient to calorie ratios. That way, even if many
vegetables don't have the highest nutrient content possible, you will
still get plenty of nutrients (by nutrients, I mean minerals, amino
acids, vitamins and co-factors, not calories from energy-rich carbon
compounds).

And thanks for posting feedback! This time especially for the important dietary advice.

I am a believer; the Fuhrman & McDougall recommendations are accurate and applicable, ready to be used.

The primary theme: focus on eating foods with a high nutrient to calorie ratio. That says it all.

You will then seek varieties of nuts, vegetables, seeds and fruit with that characteristic and ones that have higher overall nutrient contents
than other varieties. What an important mission: find those foods and grow them or find sources that are practical to obtain for your use.
Example: unsulphured, unsweetened, natural dried apricots
Sources I know of: Trader Joe (California apricots, excellent) and Jaffe Brothers in California, mail order, also excellent and affordable even counting postage and they have other amazing dried fruit as well.

I must have dried fruit in my diet, prunes, peaches, apricots, raisins,
figs, dates, cranberries and cherries.

You can fill up on these things. Make a mix and soak in cold water until they swell up, even tastier.

Nuts: almonds, walnuts, pecans, macadamia, brazil, pine
Seeds: sesame, sunflower, pumpkin - All of these have important nutrients and oils, high in protein, high in fiber

Grains: rice, barley, rye, buckwheat, wheat, spelt, kenaf, corn, oat

Beans: many varieties; try Peruvian pink beans - absolutely delicious
plain with salt and pepper (to cook: open 1 pound package, pour into pot, add water and a little garlic or onion and some oil, no salt; put lid on and cook until you can easily mash them into refrito texture - serve, eat and enjoy - no wash, no soak, just put in pot with water and cook; done in an hour or less, as easy as lentils - try french green lentils

Sprouts: hundreds of seeds can be sprouted: favorites: broccoli, radish, sunflower, buckwheat, alfalfa and more

Wheat and barley grass, juiced

Vegan cheese made from fermented seeds, i.e. sunflower

Kraut, kim chee, kefir, yoghurt for probiotics, also miso

Traditional Japanese macrobiotic diet.

Juiced vegetables and fruits.

Food combining for maximum nutrient absorption through maximum digestion for maximum health (see Victoras Kulvinskas food combining chart in his Survival In the 21st Century) - this may be important to those using the Fuhrman & McDougall advice.

You absolutely must have adequate protein in your diet day to day, and adequate fiber and probiotic intake (miso and/or kim chee)
If you eat meat, one small hamburger a day is enough

I think that if you eat a high nutrient/calorie ratio diet, pure foods, combined for maximum digestion and avoid animal products completely you will have all the energy you need: alternate seeds with nuts

A huge proportion of the calories in typical diets--even
health-conscious vegetarians--comes from low-nutrient foods like
grains, dairy, oils, and fats. Those MDs have helped me understand
that even supposedly healthy olive oil is complete junk food: tons of
calories, no nutrients. Vegetables (meaning green and other colored
plants, not grains and starches) have very few calories and lots of
nutrients per 100 grams, while starches, oils, dairy, and meats have

It is good to cook leafy greens with oil (olive oil is best) because this process releases more nutrients in the greens - if you eat them in a salad raw then you will eat less of them but you can always make a grand mix of garden greens from lettuce to pak choi, to kale, chard,french salad mustard, mizuna, frisee, romaine and more even lambs quarters (mentioned in a previous post).

Make salad dressings in a blender with only vegetable and nut ingredients: almonds, carrots and sunflower sprouts, experiment with other ingredients for good flavor - add oil, salt, herbs & vinegar as desired but try first without them

tons of calories but very few nutrients per 100 grams. So even modest
amounts of low-nutrient food will fill us up, because it's calories
that give you that full feeling. And that makes it hard to get large
amounts of nutrients. Even "healthy" eaters have high cholesterol and
blood pressure from their low-nutrient diets.

But these MDs say we should look at foods based on nutrients per
calorie, not nutrients per weight, so we can get lots of nutrients
without gaining weight or getting that "oh, I can tell I just ate"
full feeling that most of us think is normal after meals--which is
not how a nutrient-rich meal will make you feel, I've finally
learned. Some numbers:

Nutrient per 100 calories Broccoli Steak Romaine Lettuce
Protein 11g 6g
7g Calcium 118mg 2mg
194mg Potassium 507mg 74mg
1453mg

This is all new and wonderful information!

If you must eat grains try them raw or sprouted or lastly, cooked.
Use food combining rules when eating grain: only one kind of grain at a meal, no acid foods in that meal, no oils and no protein, save the latter for a starch-free meal with oil and vegetables.

and so on for all the minerals--meat is far less nutrient dense, and
many veggies have more protein per calorie than meat. Grains are also
fairly high in calories compared to nutrients, but much better than
meat and dairy. And, what I didn't know before, is that we've been
told vegetables don't have enough protein, but mother's milk is only
5% protein by weight, so if a fast-growing baby only needs that
little protein, an adult surely doesn't need more. We get far more
protein than we need.

So what these guys are saying is, eat huge quantities of colored
veggies --a pound of kale is only about 100 calories--and then have a
vegetable starch to fill up if you need to, and steer clear of oils,
fats, sugars, and other totally empty foods. A diet in which most
calories come from meat, dairy, oils, and even grains, has almost no
chance of getting you enough nutrients. They also show conclusively
that any more than 8oz or so of meat per week staggeringly increases
the risk of all sorts of disease, which, being a confirmed carnivore,
I don't like to see, but the facts are there in huge studies with
good data.

I don't know how well I'm communicating this--it seems more radical
to me than this may look. There is a clinic near me in Santa Rosa
where the MDs use this diet to treat live-in patients, and people
show huge drops in obesity, diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol,
and get off lifetime meds they took for those problems.

I can't do this justice here, but for more, there is
http://www.drfuhrman.com and his book "Eat to Live" which I highly
recommend http://www.drmcdougall.com and True North Health Center in
Santa Rosa, CA at http://www.healthpromoting.com

This seems a good strategy to get good nutrition until we get good
data on nutrient-rich plant varieties.

Been doing this diet, with gusto, for two months, so it's written
with the zealousness of a convert--

Toby http://patternliteracy.com