permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Achieving High Nutrient Levels in Crops

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, Market Farming <marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Achieving High Nutrient Levels in Crops
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 05:04:57 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] Achieving High Nutrient Levels in Crops (was History of Organic Agriculture slide presentation)
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 02:02:39 -0400
From: Michael Astera <michael.astera@GMAIL.COM>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Heide and all-

The subject of minerals in organic agriculture is relevant to the
present controversy about nutritional content of mainstream vs organic
food crops. If we can't readily (and convincingly) show a significant
nutritional difference between chemically and organically grown food,
perhaps it's because there isn't one. Perhaps there isn't much
difference because both are being grown in less than ideal, mineral
deficient, more or less imbalanced soils, while the varieties being
grown lack the ability to utilize the full spectrum of nutrients or
transform them into superior quality food even if everything were
available and in balance.

Figuring out how to achieve high nutrient levels in crops has been my
goal for the last dozen years. Finding a way to test for nutrients at
a reasonable cost, and finding data to compare test results with, have
been a necessary part of the search. For now, I’m using the standard
ag lab plant tissue tests, because for $50 I can get results for 10
minerals plus protein N, and can compare the results directly with the
numbers in the older literature.

Our older nutrient data collections are based on minerals, fats,
carbs, and protein. The USDA's first real attempt in 1940 was
"Proximate Composition of American Food Materials", compiled by
Charlotte Chatfield and Georgian Adams. It is a small (6 x9), 92 page
circular that lists values for water, protein, fat, ash,
carbohydrates, and calories. It wasn't until the late 1940s and early
1950s that the USDA nutrient data started to include a few minerals,
and not until the 1960s did the data begin to include 10 or so
minerals and some vitamins. There are a few pre-1940 tables showing
mineral content of foods, mostly from the UK.

The tables I use for comparison today are from the USDA National
Nutrient Database for Standard Reference
http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=8964. How many years
of data are averaged into that database is a good question, but one
can at least tell how their sample compares to USDA averages.

The numbers and percentages for minerals in the latest USDA database
are, perhaps surprisingly, not easy to equal or exceed with average
organic produce. I encourage anyone who thinks they are growing
nutrient dense crops to have them tested and see how they compare with
the USDA numbers.

Many would be happy to know that their food contained the same amount
of minerals that food grown fifty years ago did, and mineral content
is where most of the past research papers on declining nutrient
content of food have put their emphasis. Testing for mineral content
is the least expensive and most accessible way I know of to measure
and compare nutritional value, for now.

Heidi H. wrote: "how do we intentionally produce plants with optimal
nutrient content? Simply adding the "missing" nutrients to the soil
doesn't necessary produce the result we are looking for, soil is way
too complex for that."

I agree that adding nutrients to the soil doesn't necessarily produce
plants with optimal nutrient content (more on that below); but
bringing the soil's mineral fertility into balance so that the optimum
amount of nutrients are in the soil and available to the crops is not
too complex or difficult. The method shown in "The Ideal Soil", based
on the Albrecht ratios but conforming to USDA NOP Organic rules, has
been successfully applied around the world over the past four years,
in all climates. If we know the present mineral balance and CEC of
the soil, moving it in any desired direction is relatively
straightforward and predictable, especially in neutral or acid pH
soils. A lab test will tell us how close the sample is to a given
“ideal” and we can calculate what needs to be added to get there.

All that to say, we do have a reference point for "ideal" soil mineral
balance that has been shown to work, and a way to get there that
anyone can use. Application is simple, the results are predictable,
and generally the minerals can be brought into any desired balance
within a year or two.

A bigger hurdle to growing nutritionally excellent food is that our
crops have not been bred to uptake minerals nor provide optimal
nutritional value. They have been bred and selected for appearance,
disease resistance, uniform maturity, size, yield, and shipping,
handling, and storage qualities. Like fresh flowers, our produce has
been bred to still look pretty when it gets in front of the consumer,
while our broadacre field and row crops have been bred for uniformity
and maximum yield for lowest input cost.

No matter how biologically active, mineral abundant, and fertile a
soil is, if the plant doesn't have the ability to uptake the raw
materials or use them to fabricate the nutrients we desire, it can’t
and it won't. We need crops that have been bred specifically for the
ability to produce nutritionally superior foods.

It wouldn’t be difficult to select for and grow crops with the
emphasis on nutrition and flavor along with appearance, yield, and
other qualities we have already shown we can achieve. They would
likely need to be grown in fully mineralized, biologically active
soils so the plants have all of the needed elements to reach their
full genetic potential, but we know how to create that soil.

Once someone can show, unequivocally, that the food they grow or sell
has significantly higher nutrient levels than what others are
growing....the whole game changes. A few organic producers entering
the market with crops of proven superior nutrient content will set the
bar higher for all.

Michael Astera
http://soilminerals.com

(PS: I’m not an advocate of regularly foliar feeding nutrients to
crops or applying minerals in soluble form via irrigation, except in
alkaline or calcareous soils where elements such as Iron quickly tie
up in insoluble forms and become unavailable.)

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Heide Hermary