permaculture - Re: [permaculture] fukuoka_farming mailing list needs aco-moderator.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Frances and David" <fdnokes@hotmail.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] fukuoka_farming mailing list needs aco-moderator.
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 17:01:15 -0700

Yes, the point is moot that a global list has much to offer all, if not literally, then by inspiration.
As to the term 'traditional', we could agree to use this for original forest/land adapted cultures.
Or we could concede that it has a spectrum of meanings. I suppose there needs to be room in our lexicon somewhere for those types of practices that were practiced pre-mechanized agriculture...
In our studies of living on the land, we have many books around the house. One that David is fond of, although I have sometimes felt that it stole time from worthier studies, is one on so-called traditional farming. It's really all about methods developed by pioneers. And yet, we cannot throw the baby out with the bathwater on that one, either.
Personally, I'm looking forward to traveling in Europe and seeing what deeper awareness of food and the land might be like. There are many who are well informed in N.A., but not a sense that the knowing has a very deep reach historically as it might in European cultures where the transmission of certain concepts including fermented foods, for instance, has gone on unbroken in many a family. Just a different sense of food and our part in it. More participatory. More respect for cultural heritage, and less giving over to packaged, process remedies to food in the hectic paced lifestyle of so many of us in North America.
One thing that I love about fukuokian thought is the sense that the simple things in life are enough. That observing nature is a full time pass time that is rewarding and enriching in and of itself.

~
Frances

-----Original Message----- From: Dieter Brand