permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [SANET-MG] Achieving High Nutrient Levels in Crops

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ben Martin Horst <ben.martinhorst@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [SANET-MG] Achieving High Nutrient Levels in Crops
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 18:00:11 -0700

Toby --

I'm not familiar with Fuhrman and McDougall, but on its face the "nutrients
per calorie" framework would seem to make sense. I would caution, however,
that a number of vitamins and minerals are fat-soluble, meaning that the
human body isn't able to utilize them effectively without accompanying
lipids. Extra virgin olive oil may not, in and of itself, have much in the
way of macronutrients per calorie, but it (or other fats) may be critical
for the absorption of, for example, vitamins A, D, E, and K found in leafy
greens. I'd hardly call it and many other fats "junk food" (though
hydrogenated oil and canola, corn, and soy oils certainly fit the bill).

Also, not having the studies on meat that they cite, it's not possible for
me to evaluate them (except inasmuch as I generally trust your assessment
of the validity of a particular study), but I suspect that the majority
(probably the entirety) of these studies are examining meat that is
undifferentiated by quality. That is, since the vast majority of meat
consumed in the US comes from factory-farmed, grain-fed or -finished,
antibiotic-packed animals, that is what is being referenced. I'd have more
confidence in studies that examine long-term health impacts of exclusively
range-fed, organic meat.

For the past three years or so, I've been following the dietary advice of a
Nutritional Therapy Practitioner (NTP -- full disclosure: I'm married to
her), another dietary healing paradigm that focuses on nutrient-density (a
paradigm which, by the way, strikes me as permaculturish on several
levels). In a nutshell, NTPs tailor dietary recommendations to individuals,
supplementing where necessary to bring systems into balance, and tend to
view high-carb diets as generally more damaging than high-fat ones.
Personally, I'm consuming a lot of green veggies and vegetable ferments,
eggs, nuts, fish, meat (all pasture-fed and organic), and animal fats, some
dairy (mostly cultured), a little fruit, and very few grains, legumes, or
sugars of any sort.

I've never been a strict vegetarian, though a decade or so ago I would have
been eating primarily grains and beans -- items I hardly ever consume
today. One thing I've noticed when among people still following the
grains-and-beans dietary paradigm is that I eat much, much less than they
do to feel satisfied. I'm getting the nutrition I need with far fewer
calories, and I don't feel bloated and overstuffed every time I finish a
meal. It's perhaps a little early for me to be much of a case study (I'm
only in my early 30s), but I'm still in significantly better shape than
much of my age cohort, and I'm hardly getting tons of exercise. I'm highly
curious to see how this experiment pans out in a couple of decades.

Anyway, I don't want to be too evangelistic, but for those interested in
working with a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner, a directory is available
here: http://nutritionaltherapy.com/ntp-referral-list/. I'm not an NTP
myself, and my experience with them is pretty much limited to my wife and a
few of her colleagues, but I've been impressed with their insights, rigor,
and attention to the human body as a dynamic ecosystem in its own right.

-Ben