permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The Permaculture saying, "Prepare for Disaster" and the mo...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: DGilsen@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The Permaculture saying, "Prepare for Disaster" and the mo...
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 02:25:14 -0400 (EDT)

Check out the Mormons they recommends that all their members get a years
supply of food for each member of their family . They have places that any
one can go and help can and buy dry foods. They also have lists of what
you need and what the shelf life is of the foods they suggest you buy.
Wheat, rice, beans, flour ,carrots, onions, potatoes ect. You do not have
to be
Mormon to buy and they will love to help you get set up, the prices are
quite reasonable. Call any Mormon church ( also known as The Church of
Jesus
Christ of latter day Saints) and ask about food storage.
>From venaurafarm@bellsouth.net Mon Oct 3 03:24:22 2011
> Check out the Mormons they recommends that all their members get a years
> supply of food for each member of their family . They have places that any
> one can go and help can and buy dry foods. They also have lists of what
> you need and what the shelf life is of the foods they suggest you buy.
> Wheat, rice, beans, flour ,carrots, onions, potatoes ect. You do not have
> to be
> Mormon to buy and they will love to help you get set up, the prices are
> quite reasonable. Call any Mormon church ( also known as The Church of
> Jesus
> Christ of latter day Saints) and ask about food storage.

I would like to see this develop into a useful thread. Things I would
like to know about are:

I. Equipment
1) insect-proof, waterproof dry foods/bulk foods storage containers for
things such as whole rice, corn, other grains, beans, pasta, seaweed,
dried fruit, tea and coffee, nuts, seeds, granola, dried peppers etc.
2) proper storage containers for canned and bottled goods that you do
not want on shelving, incl. oils, tamari, vinegar, condiments and
sauces, butters: sesame, sunflower, almond (and/or peanut, cashew),
honey, rice malt, barley malt, molasses etc.
3) best ways to store grains and beans for prevention of insect damage
4) recommended refrigerators and freezers (for me that would be GE
freezers, small capacity, several of them and nothing but Sanyo
refrigerators (I have 4 medium sized counter top models without
freezers, one still in the box, 3 in active use year round)
II. Food to acquire for long term storage

1) My suggestions:
seaweed
dried hot peppers
sea salt
rice
barley
corn grits
corn meal
dried fruits
tamari
vinegar
miso
umeboshi
natto
olive oil
sesame oil
canned herring, sprats and sardines
canned tuna
canned chicken
canned beef if you can find any on sale
dried fish, sardines of varying sizes in bags from Asian stores
dried mushrooms
butters: sesame, sunflower, almond
granola
honey, rice malt, barley malt, molasses