permaculture - Re: [permaculture] On the pain of desiring land

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Mitch Triplett" <mtriplett@bctonline.com>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] On the pain of desiring land
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 19:38:11 -0800

In 2005, my wife and I went looking for some degraded land - the idea being
that helping the ground work through it's particular trauma(s) would help us
work through ours. As we work/learn with the property and study/learn via
books (thanks Rain & Toby!), classes, listservs, etc. this property's
potential unfolds as does our own.

The first three years were predominantly spent learning & working in the
woods (67 acres mostly wooded, our Zone 1 is ~1.75 acres) and getting the
soil in the garden area to the point where it's started producing food.
Last year I began working on a food forest design and read the following:

"[We] recommend focusing your forest-gardening efforts on places needing the
healing touch of human hands. We are more likely to mess up relatively
healthy landscapes, and the world needs less of that. Working and playing
in damaged habitats is more likely to leave the planet in better shape than
we found it... Forest gardening is an excellent way to do this, and the
potential for healing both the land and ourselves is immense."
Jacke & Toensmeier, Edible Forest Gardens Vol. 2

Makes sense to me.

We planted 900 trees this year, will plant 400 next year and probably
100-200 each year following. Next year we start prepping the food forest
area and are working on our timeline/budget for water catchment, chickens,
etc. Spring of 2011 we'll plant fruit/nut trees... and on and on and on...

We have a lot of plans and will feel good if we can meet a fraction of our
goals. 20-30 years from now, I'll be posting a message to this list
advertising our place for sale and some plucky young permaculture advocate
will be able to find a place where much of the grunt work has been done so
they can focus on refining, enhancing, and yes probably in some cases
repairing what we've done for the benefit of all involved.

".stop rationalizing [your] own futility and get to work."
Ralph Nader, Democracy Now!, 02/05/07

Peace.

Mitch Triplett
Tri-Pearl Family Forest