permaculture - Re: [permaculture] On the pain of desiring land

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: christopher nesbitt <christopher.nesbitt@mmrfbz.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] On the pain of desiring land
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 15:02:13 -0600

Rain,

This is especially poignant to me. About five acres of our cultivated of our land was cattle pasture, and some of it was very badly damaged. 20 years of work to rehabilitate that swath of damaged land has given poor results, and, even though the soil has been improved, it is still not more than mediocre soil, regardless of swales, companion planting, rotation pigeon pea, tithonia, canavalia ensiformis, etc.

I recently was asked to be a consultant to a piece of land here in Belize, a future demonstration project in the northern part of the country. The land itself is in savanna, and is a quarter inch or so of sand and a bit of soil on top of a heavy clay. Nothing much grows there, soma oak, some pines. It looks like Texas.

The owner of the land bought it to "rehabilitate" it, and has set up a not for profit to funnel finds towards repairing the land, but, truthfully, the land has not been damaged, it is just land that is not suitable for agriculture.

They have already planted out some cashew, which I would have suggested ffor this soil, and there is some cannavalia maritimus, but they want to plant out jatropha and other plants that are simply never going to grow there. They are ready to run sheep on it, and the grass they have, humidicola, at two years after planting, should be 6 feet tall. It is not even 6 inches tall.

The problems are many:
*The soil is poor and shallow
*This part of the country has a very hard dry season
*Wildfires lit to clear sugar cane rampage through the area every year

The feeling they had is that "permaculture" can overcome the inherent limitations of that land, and, frankly, it can't. That soils is simply not meant to be agriculture. It might produce something, but the amount of energy and time going into it will be draining, especially because a few miles away there is faifry good soil.

Now, container farming, with soil brought in form other locations, raised beds, aquaponics, etc, could do something ON that land, but not WITH that land. The "farming" could be anywhere if they go that route.

I wrote my recommendations, and stopped short of saying to find another piece of land, but the owner, who seems like a nice sort, is insistent that they need to demonstrate that such land can be "repaired". No matter how much energy they spend, in 20 years, that land will still be a poor land.

So, anyone tempted to buy "fix-it-up" piece of land because it is cheap, should look further and see the ultimate cost. FWIW< I ended up with good land, but nly by luck as I had no idea about agriculture when I bought this place. Lucky for me.

Best wishes,

Christopher