permaculture - [permaculture] On the pain of desiring land

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] On the pain of desiring land
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 11:34:11 -0800 (PST)

I grew up with an intense hunger for my own plot of land, and was desperate
by the time I had the resources to buy some.  I really identify with the lust
for land of the US "pioneers" and landless peasants.  I feel that
permaculture, in its current form, does a disservice to those seeking land by
playing down the difficulties of marginal land.  It is true that a lot of
land that is currently considered marginal can be coaxed into producing
yields for satisfying vital needs, but only with more work, money, time,
energy, and other inputs than prime farming land.

On the other hand, it is less likely that permaculturists would create
dustbowls, because our practices are diametrically opposed to such outcomes.
We don't like tilling, bare soil, and overirrigation or unsustainable water
use, and we like mulching, perennials, appropriate earthworks, etc.

Rain