permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pre-design for collapse

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <bwaldrop@cox.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pre-design for collapse
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:02:59 -0500

One final note. . . we had a potluck meal at lunch, and I always think that potlucks are great ideas for one day events. That way one person isn't consumed with cooking/preparing for the group, all can participate, and all take responsibility for the food. Table fellowship is important.

Melbourne is a great city, I was there a while in 1972, staying with a Greek family in Clifton Hill. We heated our room with charcoal briquets that we bought from a guy who came by once a week with a push cart loaded with big sacks of briquets. I'm sure things have changed a lot since then. Pushcarts will be useful though. we didn't spend a lot of time on it, but we did talk briefly about using handcarts to move grain. That would require more carts, because the turn-around time is longer, and we figured there would be enough bicycles in the area to do the more-efficient bicycle cart, especially the rail-bike version which, lacking fuel for trains, would be the most efficient.

Being close to the ocean will be helpful for Melbourne, although that depends on what has happened with the fishing close to shore. Also, IIRC, quite a bit of wheat is grown in Victoria, although I don't know how the drought is impacting that. I don't know what we would do in Oklahoma without those large silos of grain and soybeans that ring the city and which even just before harvest will typically have enough product in them to feed the state the basic ration we devised.

Bob Waldrop
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rafael Schouten" <talktoraf@hotmail.com>