permaculture - Re: [permaculture] nitrogen-fixing trees in temperate climes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lisa Rollens" <rollens@fidnet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] nitrogen-fixing trees in temperate climes
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 22:38:14 -0500

Thank you, Rain, for your reply. It was as I expected. I just couldn't see any reason for N2 fixing trees not fixing nitrogen in temperate climates.

I, too, like black locust trees and have planted 75-100 each year for the past several years. This has been on a hillside, with the plan to use them for coppicing for firewood. However, I have been thinking of planting them among my young orchard trees thinking that maybe the locusts will help keep frost damage from being so bad. Maybe I should use elaeagnus (autumn olive) instead??? The fruit trees are mostly standard size, so maybe taller black locust would protect them better? I don't know, am just thinking out loud. Well, ok, in type! Any feelings?

I wasn't familiar with the "silk tree" that you mentioned, and so looked it up. Mimosa!! Around here mimosas are VERY invasive! As a matter of fact, I have them coming up all over from the stick mulch I use. I will read more about them and see if they might be useful, too. Thanks for the idea!

Lisa, also big on planting trees!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rain Tenaqiya" <raincascadia@yahoo.com>