permaculture - Re: [permaculture] nitrogen-fixing trees in temperate climes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kim Swearingen <strawboss@permaearth.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] nitrogen-fixing trees in temperate climes
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 10:46:08 -0700

I, too, love the black locust. Not only does it increase the vigor and growth of its neighbors but as an added bonus for me it turns out to be my goats' favorite food. To have something so willing to sucker and grow profusely on so little water has been a real blessing. A note about planting it to protect fruit trees from frost; it is one of the very last trees to leaf out - much later than my fruit trees. On that count it has been a bust. I'm in a really tough climate for fruit due to late spring frosts (average last frost date is May 15) and have so far found the best strategy to be carefully choosing late blooming varieties of fruit. Worth noting is that mulberry leaf out late as well, around the same time as my black locust and therefore produces a yield every year, as do berries and shrub fruit. Goats also adore mulberry branches!

Kim
Permaculture The Earth
www.permaearth.org