permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Intro, new to list...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Intro, new to list...
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 08:52:22 -0700 (PDT)

See http://permaculture.meetup.com/61/ for some Permaculture organizing in
NYC. Let me know if you want to have the ability to post events of your own.

I'm personally meeting with a growing group in Northern Manhattan (seven at
last nights meeting and still not everyone getting to the meeting; maybe a
dozen or more on the periphery). We also intend to purchase land (many
separately with this vision) upstate as a group, but we also hope to keep our
connections in the city. I'm envisioning shared transportation resources
(say a Sprinter made into a mini-bus) and several groups and properties
within three hours of NYC (a rhizome network). We meet every other week at
the extreme northern tip of Manhattan (215th/Seaman), if you are interested
(usually Wednesdays at 7PM).

Where you live in NYC may help determine with whom to organize. I'm a long
way from Brooklyn via subway (1+ to 2+ hours), so rarely make it to those
events. I'll let the Brooklyn folks respond for themselves. We must have at
least half a dozen different "clicks" of permies between all five boroughs
and different groups organizing with Permaculture in mind. I'm hopeful for
us to learn to network and interact more than we do presently.

A critical mass of permies has also been building in the New Paltz area (much
thanks to Geoff Lawton).
Contact Wilton and Joan (Green Phoenix Permaculture) at 845-687-7646 to
get involved or just visit.

Sustainable Hudson Valley will be having
an event soon, as well.

http://www.sustainhv.org/shv/ccle-07-news

I'll let the Albany and Fingerlakes folks answer for themselves, as well as
Hancock Permaculture (Andrew?) and others (Ethan? Rafter? kevin?). There is
not a lack of activity by any means, just a lack of cohesiveness in terms of
establishing a network.

-Sean.