permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Ethanol proposals

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Mike Snow" <msnow@mountainschool.org>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Ethanol proposals
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:01:29 -0500 (EST)

I like to think I have a decent grasp on the need for compromise, and on
the point that "everything gardens". But I do wonder about implementing a
plan, on such a large and potentially long-term scale, that takes an
element (the carbon chains that make up the ethanol) out of a system.
Take carbohydrates out of a biological cycle? What would that do (not a
rhetorical question).

I'm left wondering how to structure incentives for ethanol's use as a
transition fuel. What might that look like in serious legislation? Or
perhaps how might we decentralize the process, so we're transporting a
final product and not the basic materials... Perhaps the dailykos knows.

Mike