permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Ethanol proposals

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture list <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Ethanol proposals
  • Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 07:51:42 -0800

I've seen different numbers from John's, but the conclusion is similar. The
December '05 Wired magazine cites USDA figures noting that if ethanol were
to be made from corn, we'd need to plant 10 times the current US corn
acreage to meet annual gasoline demand. That means using nearly 1/3 of all
arable land in the US for ethanol from corn. (Maybe corn is more efficient
than soy for ethanol, or maybe the USDA is just as dishonest about fuel
reserves as the Saudis). Any way you slice it, it's not sustainable and is
just another short-term subsidy for industrial farming.

I suspect ethanol will be used mainly on-farm. People who can plant some of
their acreage in fuel crops will use them to power farm vehicles and the
like. But I can't see ethanol ever becoming a significant long-term fuel if
derived from crops.

Toby
www.patternliteracy.com