permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Ethanol proposals

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <bwaldrop@cox.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Ethanol proposals
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 15:42:31 -0600

The issue with food wastes, lawn trimmings, municipal tree trimmings and etc., is that all of these items are needed to develop sustainable fertility for gardens and agriculture. That is, they need to be composted and mulched and returned to the earth. If we rob the earth of these nutrients for ethanol, then we are resolving one issue only to develop another one.

The fact that many of these items are presently wasted is not an argument in favor of ethanol. they are presently wasted because our entire society is based on unsustainability. If we want to become more sustainable, we must begin returning all "waste" organic matter to the soil.

Robert Waldrop, OKC
www.bobwaldrop.net
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dylan Ford" <dford@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
don't know if you caught my post the other day, but what about ethanol
derived from food wastes, lawn trimmings, municipal tree trimmings,
cardboard, etc., etc., There's a lot of it, the stream never stops, and we
have to get rid of it somehow. That represents a lot of wasted calories.
dylan

Dylan Ford is the author of the proposal at www.ideaforpresident.com , a
website devoted to an idea that could provide an avenue to address pollution
issues, food safety, social justice, prison reform and healthcare.