permaculture - [permaculture] Cellulose Ethanol

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "robscott@freeshell.org" <robscott@freeshell.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Cellulose Ethanol
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 05:28:05 +0000 (UTC)

Chuck makes a very good point. I was referring to traditional ethanol.

Cellulose:
This hasn't been researched conclusively yet, but cellulose ethanol looks promising because it can be made out of wood chips, dead bodies, whatever. It's the bubble of *promises* which I want to burst. George W. Bush tonight refered to cellulose ethanol obliquely when he said we would cut US energy consumption of mid-east oil by 75% by adopting alternatives such as ethanol made from corn and switchgrass -- he actually said "switchgrass" in the state of the union address. Switchgrass ethanol would be cellulosic.

OK, quoting Bush isn't the idea...
You raise a good point, and cellulose might become a great resource.

Permaculture is stronger in its premises than in its promises.

Rob Scott
Urbana, IL

From: "Chuck Learned" <clearned@bminet.com>
Subject: Re: [permaculture] bursting the ethanol bubble

I want to burst this bubble.

In the best case scenario, petroleum to ethanol ratio was 0.8 : 1.0 when everything was taken into account.

Well if you are going to burst the ethanol bubble then perhaps you can speak to the conversion ratio of the cellulosic ethanol that the article speaks to. It seems there is a significant breakthrough there where they are talking about conversion cost dropping from $5 a barrel to $.20 a barrel. Have you researched this or are you speaking about the traditional method? Chuck Learned

  • [permaculture] Cellulose Ethanol, robscott@freeshell.org, 02/01/2006