permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Horses in permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lisa Rollens" <rollens@fidnet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Horses in permaculture
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:37:07 -0600

Hi Claudia,

I don't think I said specifically that "horses basically take care of
themselves", but with some management, ours definitely do. And yes, I do
trim feet and rotate pastures. But, as I said, unless the snow is really
deep, they do fine on GOOD pasture all winter. And yes, again, you have to
haul HOT water out to melt the ice in their troughs and make sure they
drink. My point was that horses don't need most of what humans tend to
provide to them, and can get by and stay fit and in good shape with very
little, again, with good management. And yes, they do need salt. But they
don't "need" a gallon of grain twice a day, a cushy stall or a blanket, a
lot of stall cleaning when they can scatter their manure themselves. Most
horse owners that I know (5 different states) overfeed and under exercise
their horses. I have been more worried about obese horses having problems
with the heat in summer than underfed horses. I guess horses are just like
their owners...and most Americans (anyway) are overweight. I have a 31 year
old horse who is basically taking care of herself, with just a little help
from me. She's in fine shape on nothing but grass, salt and water
(diatomaceous earth and kelp meal are in the salt). Her only wind break
right now is trees, altho I will probably bring her up to the barn this
winter since she is so old, so she can get under the overhang. When I ride
her pasture buddy she goes along for the exercise.

Yes, there are downsides to horses, too, like your said, a dead horse is a
big problem. I have never had the experience yet, even tho I have had
horses for almost 30 years. Don't ever let a horse die in a stall, if you
can help it! BIG PROBLEM!

Lisa