permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Horses in permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: sinergyinaction@netscape.net
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Horses in permaculture
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:09:13 -0500

Hi Lisa,
thanks for your feedback.
I have no experience at all with horses, but I can probably find out more
near where I live, even though the people I know that have horses aren't
permaculturist.
Anyway the idea is to have horses (1 opr 2) that can also be used as
breeders, do these horses have different requirements than non-breeders?
I am writing from Spain and southern spain (quite a dry and hot place
usually) is the place where the land is.
So how much grass do they need to satisfy their needs (in case it needs to be
purchased)?
Can they drink purified water produced from a grey water reed bed system?
Is tap (clorinated) water good to them?

The main doubt though is if keeping a horse(es) is compatible with the aim of
establishing/restoring a healthy ecosystem from scratch, that is, starting a
succession cycle with cover crops and tree seedlings all over the place, also
having to rely on a piece of land not bigger than 2Ha.
My feeling is that it isn't and that horses, if ever, should be introduced at
a later stage, once the system is well established.
Cheers
Antonio