permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Horses in permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: gaia <gaia@oneota.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Horses in permaculture
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:08:51 -0600

hello.
gaia here. I love that you are considering horses in your permaculture plans. I am also attempting to integrate (one horse at a time)
into my permaculture plan.
for her beauty,intelligence, her fierce spirit, and her loyalty, and the way that she shows me how to communicate more deeply with the land; for all of this, I am grateful for the horse that has come to lead me.
her name is si marrone, Cimarron in English,
and she is my teacher in the process of taking a conventional corn/soybean operation in Northeast Iowa and converting this to a permaculture operation.
As Lisa spoke of, horses basically take care of themselves,
good grass pasture and water is all they require.
and they give so much. manure especially, and their tremendous power which can help us with many tasks.
not to mention their power and beauty.
but you must choose an appropriate breed for your circumstances.
Si Marrone is Percheron (old French out of Canada) crossed with the American Quarter Horse(Arabian and Thoroughbred)
I would like to breed her with a Frisian or , my dream, a PasoFino.

look forward to hearing from you.
gaianne