permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Horses in permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Horses in permaculture
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:58:49 +1100

Antonio - recommend you get to know someone in your area who has horses and
volunteer your help to get to know how to handle them, what's involved in
keeping them, how much they eat and how much it may cost if you have to buy
supplementary feed. Horses eat a lot of grass and they love to munch on
young trees. You need big strong tree guards to protect tree seedlings in a
horse paddock. My neighbours have 2 horses on 2 hectares - this is a high
rainfall area (1760mm) in the subtropics where 8 months of the year lush
grasses grow 15-20cm a week and they need to supplement their feed in
winter.
It also depends what breed of horses you're looking at keeping/breeding. And
yes, mares in foal require much more than a non-pregnant horse, irrespective
of breed.
I'd be getting the treated greywater tested for suitability for stock.

Ciao
Robyn