permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: goats vs compost

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kevin Topek" <ktopek@houston.rr.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: goats vs compost
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 20:04:23 -0500

I would take advantage of the valuable nutrients gathered by food crops and
feed them to livestock first. In my opinion, every new animal introduced to
a biological system increases the biological productivity of that system by
an order of magnitude through the actions of bacteria in their feces. Why
not maximize the productivity of the crops that were planted? Sheet mulching
of crops can be equally functional. Alex Hitt of North Carolina just planted
peppers directly into rolled cover crops. It should work fine. Kathryn
Santoyo's suggestion of letting crops go to seed is definitely necessary to
propogate next year's crop and all the benefits thereof! Each crop has
several diffrent productive stages: food, mulch, seed, etc...

Kevin