permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: goats vs compost

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: goats vs compost
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 14:12:02 -0400

Rain Tenaqiya wrote:

It seems to me that you have to figure out what you want the most, quick
nutrient recycling and goat products, or organic matter. Animals greatly
reduce the volume of organic matter in a system by breaking it down more
quickly. The same comparison can be made to mulching versus composting,
especially hot composting.

It should be an easy decision when the intent is to use the end product to grow crops: mulching is the clear winner - direct application to growing beds, i.e. permanent notill raised beds. If animal manure is to be used then it should be mixed with
vegetable matter (weeds, crop residues, etc.) for a short time before applying to growing beds if cropping is underway, if not then manure and biomass can be put on the beds directly or onto beds with cover crops growing. This is the best way to utilize manure.
This allows extra feeding for fungi that extract minerals from rock particles to in turn feed plants.

Mulching preserves organic matter for longer. Organic matter is so
important for so many reasons that it is important not to just assume that it
is best to gather it all up and compost it or feed it to animals.

Grow crops and weeds specifically to feed livestock; all other plant material should be applied as mulch to gardens. You do more than provide nutrients this way, microbial life is increased and stabilized, more soil moisture is retained,
soil becomes better aerated and has better tilth.

I'll post some pix of arrays of large raised beds I've created on my land this year to grow crops for market. I am using large equipment, hopefully only once or twice, to create these beds that will become permanently notill eventually.
Lots of horsepower up front then hand tillage only from then on; I will be fabricating special human powered equipment and hand tools for effective long-term maintenance.

LL