permaculture - [permaculture] Re: goats vs. compost

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "robscott@freeshell.org" <robscott@freeshell.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: goats vs. compost
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 19:03:14 +0000 (UTC)

Goat & poultry manures have low C:N ratios, often between 15:1 - 10:1 Vegetable scraps tend to be a little higher, say 20:1 - 15:1
Either could be treated like a nitrogen fertilizer, but wet it first,
and allow hot composting to occur off the beds.

Where's the least work? I'd pile the old vegetables near the veg beds to be re-added as compost next season. You've already got goat manure. Maybe toss it around some fruit trees where hot composting will just burn weeds.

Rob Scott
Urbana IL

From: Lisa in Oregon <lisamaciver8@yahoo.com>

Another question, though: we have old vegetables (bolting chard,
spinach, and some cabbagey greens), is it better to compost them or
feed them to the goats and chickens? ... I'm not sure where the
maximum benefit is to the whole system.

Lisa in Ashland Oregon