permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The future of sustainable agriculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "GlobalCirclenet" <webmaster@globalcircle.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The future of sustainable agriculture
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:38:10 -0700

Absolutely a valid consideration, isn't it. Especially for commercial
operations? I'd venture that pollen drift would be less likely in separated
individual or community gardens than large commercial field operations near
other growers or growing other varieties that might be GMO contaminated.
Which would argue further for grow your own. There's probably some chance
of drift contamination in seed being sold now, but if it's going to get
more widespread I'd get into serious seed saving with heirloom varieties
from small isolated growers. Heirlooms aren't newly bred varieties, and if
they appear to breed true from seed then my guess is they wouldn't be
comtaminated, would they? I wonder if a new market will develop for
organic seed produced on geographically isolated farms with no chance of
GMO contamination.

As for the dominance of agribusiness and fiat money investment capitalism
that props it up, I don't see what we can do without a complete collapse of
the industrial agriculture system. Which may be coming. What's your take on
this?

herb@largocreekfarms.com