permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Looking for arracacha, maca & melloco

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Looking for arracacha, maca & melloco
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 16:19:52 -0700

> From: Miekal
> can I get you to explain yr comments in more
>> detail. I see creating systems which are loaded with diversity as key
>> to both systems, so Im somewhat confused by Scott & Rick's comments.

As often, Toby elaborated on the direction I was looking; I never go into
detail, I guess; I'm on several lines at once.
ALTHOUGH! AHEM! I would never, ever utter such a blasphemous phrase as
"mutually exclusive binaries".
So- one illustration of where I got with the kinship diagrams:

I noticed that the Valerianales were slap up next to the Apiales (umbels) in
the diagram, and I recalled that the Apiales are infamous nectar sources for
parasitoid wasps, et al. So I made a note to check out the valerians as
insect feeders. Yup. Mollison suggested umbels with apple, so I tried a
valerian in an apple guild planting- great! So I kept on along observing,
(and planting guilds) and eventually found a sacred spot at the confluence
of Opal creek and the Little North Santiam, where out of a crack in the rock
grew Amelanchier, Nootka rose, and Valerian sitchensis, as pretty a guild
picture as you'll ever see. This was over 10 years of meandering about.
Unfortunately bamboos are poorly represented in the diagrams because their
taxonomy is still being sorted out.

-Rick
just had the first snow of the '02-'03 winter.