permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Looking for arracacha, maca & melloco

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Looking for arracacha, maca & melloco
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 12:15:09 -0700

If anyone can illuminate me further on this-

My view of Dahlgren's taxonomic reforms is that he was taking a cladistic
approach, considering more than just flower form. In this, he was part of
the greater trend in taxonomy.

What it's meant for me, is that I am now quicker to see broad relationships
in groups, for example, mallows, from okra to cotton to Sidalcea, all have
characteristic blooms, but also edible and medicinal mucilaginous tender
parts and useful fibrous stems.

old history
When I first heard Mushroom recruiting human energy for a kinship botanic
garden, I was like, right, another intellectual construct to be forced on
the innocent plants. Shades of Versailles. (I had been working for years as
a volunteer at the Hoyt Arboretum) This huge garden didn't happen.
Now, just as in most gardens, when I wander at Mushroom's, I'm intrigued by
the accidents, by how the plants move about and interact.
The connections.
So I've made my peace with peace gardens.
Ain't nothin' but a party, y'all.
-Rick