permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Allan needs advice on selecting a brush cutter.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Allan needs advice on selecting a brush cutter.
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:42:01 -0800

On Wednesday, October 30, 2002, at 10:08 AM, Loren Davidson wrote:

Subject: Do you mind forwarding this one for me?
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:15:41 -0500
From: Allan Balliett <igg@igg.com>

I have to clear a lot of land a lot more often than I really would
like to. This year I'm looking at redeeming a 1acre biodynamic garden
that's been neglected and fallow for 3 years. (Viva le fertility!
Viva le Gobo!!) and spruce up a neglected 3 acre rock outcropping
pasture.

I'm looking at getting a new brush cutter. After the recommendations
in the recent whole earth, I'm looking at the Shindaiwa B450
(45ccs/18lb unit), I'm wondering if I should save money and get the
cheaper 35cc unit. More than that, I'm wondering what the rest of you
are using.

I'm using a DR 8 HP brush mower. It's self-propelled, has large wheels, and is good for anything up to about 1" in diameter. It's made by Country Home Products. I don't have the URL handy, but I'm sure Google has them. I've been using it for about a half-dozen years and really enjoy it. If I had it to do over again, I'd get a bigger one rather than a smaller one. The DR mowers are built to be easily serviceable, but don't need much servicing - they're built out of heavy-gauge steel, etc. The newer ones have balloon tires with some serious tread rather than the roughly 24" hard rubber tires of mine.

Ive a DR 6 hp weed trimmer & I wish I could say as many good things about it as loren. Ive had mine for 2 years, & it breaks down endlessly, tho its all things that are pretty easy to fix, it becomes quite time consuming to have to be taking it apart all of the time. in two years its broken 3 belts, 3 recoil cords, had to replace hex screws which hold the hub assembled to the drive train. It does have a circular chain saw blade which Ive never tried that might work good on brush, but I havent tried it. mIEKAL