permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Allan needs advice on selecting a brush cutter. - Chilling Tools & Bulldog Tools

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, lfl@intrex.net, lflondon@intrex.net, bamboogrove@cmug.com
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Allan needs advice on selecting a brush cutter. - Chilling Tools & Bulldog Tools
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 03:11:06 -0800

Rick Valley wrote:
If I have less than 4 acres to deal with, I don't use power equipment unless
there's someone close who'll do it for hire, cheap.

I'd first get the Gobo I didn't want with an Irish brush hook.

Bulldog Tools makes an Irish Brush Hook
You will have to get a printed catalog to see it
http://www.bulldogtools.co.uk/home.html
A Division of American Tool Companies
Clarington Forge
Wigan, Lancs. WN1 3DD
UK
Tel: (01942) 44281
Fax: (01942) 824316

BULLDOG TOOLS
Division of Record Tools
Parkway Works
Kettlebridge Road
Sheffield
S9 3BL

Telephone: 0114-2449066
Fax: 01142-561788
Tel: 01142-449066 Fax: 01142-434302
e-mail:sales@recordtools.co.uk
web:www.bulldogtools.co.uk
Our Products
All Season
Bulldog
Evergreen
Premier

BULLDOG TOOLS have been made at Clarington Forge in Wigan for over 200 years.
Seven generations of Farmers, Contractors and Professional Landscapers stand testimony to a quality of product upon which their livelyhoods depended. The skill and craftsmanship that were the key to the company's success in those early days are still maintained and are available to you today, in the products you will find in this web site.
All products are fully guaranteed against faulty workmanship and material

Available from:
James Cooksons
Cheshire, UK
FREEPHONE, In UK: 0800 458 5752
FAX: +44 (161) 480 8579
(Maybe someone from the UK in the PC List could phone Cooksons and find out their overseas telephone number and post that to the list. Graham?)
cooksons.com ltd.
Armstrong House
Swallow Street
Stockport
Cheshire
SK1 3LG
United Kingdom
Cooksons carries all Bulldog tools and will do mail order to the USA
http://www.cooksons.com/store/browse.php3?section=14&level=2
http://www.cooksons.com

For more info and reviews of Bulldog Tool see:
http://www.fredshed.co.uk/tradesecrets.htm

Other sources for Bulldog Tools, Spear and Jackson Tools and more:

Peaceful Valley Farm Supply
http://www.groworganic.com
http://www.groworganic.com/a/a.html?sCategory=117
P.O. Box 2209, Grass Valley, CA 95945
Tel:(530) 272-4769 • Order Toll Free (888) 784-1722
Email:contact@groworganic.com

Smith & Hawken 800/776-3336 800-9401170 http://www.smith-hawken.com
http://www.smithandhawken.com/jhtml/site/catalog/Category.jhtml;$sessionid$HN0UWGYAABLPNUPWC0SXBM4R4YLKY2G4?CATID=68&PARENTCATID=16

Gardener's Supply Co. 800/863-1700 http://www.gardeners.com
http://www.naturalgardening.com/cgi-bin/shop/S-Mart.cgi?command=listitems&type=group&pos=0&pg=tools&group=garden
See the Swwiss-made (60' handle X 6" head) 4-prong cultivator and the long handled spade and long-handled fork (Bulldog)
phone (707) 766-9303 FAX: (707) 766-9747

Order by mail: P.O. Box 750776, Petaluma, CA 94975-0776.
This is the article in Taunton's "Kitchen Garden" magazine
with a review of the Broadfork from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply
that I mentioned in an earlier post, also covers the old
Smith & Hawken 3-tine grub eyehoe which is now available in a modified
format from Hida Tool (http://www.hidatool.com - 800/443-5512) as their "Farmer Rake" also Bulldog spades and forks.
http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00011.asp
For more articles in Kitchen Garden (no longer in print) see:
http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/fg_feat_kitchgard.asp

Seeds of Change
http://www.seedsofchange.com/catalog/tool.html
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/seedsofchange/bulrectool.html
Record Tools North America (Canada, wholesale)

The Bulldog heavy-duty digging spade, spade fork and digging fork are three
basic tools for a raised bed gardener

Then I'd take my brush scythe to the rest.

This is the best and most complete scythe dealer in the USA:
Scythe Supply
http://www.scythesupply.com/
they offer several types of brush and ditch scythes and well as the grass/grain types

A Swede axe is good on small trees.

Gransfors is a brand that comes to mind though there are others, available
from:

Garrett Wade or Lee Valley Tools

Also: Ralph Martindale & Co., Ltd.
Wonderful machetes, like you've never seen before - you can do an amazing lot
of
clearing with a good machete: grasses, woody weeds, cornstalks, saplings,
trees
http://www.ralphmartindale.co.uk/ralphmartindale/latinamerica1.html
See my Gardening Handtool Sourcelist: http://market-farming.com/gardening-hand-tools.faq for contact info
for RM, Ltd. - also Crocodile USA/www.karnaf.com, the Chillington/Ralph Martindale Ltd. USA Representative will import these tools for you;
Contact: Ilan Segura ilan@karnaf.com 408-888-7478 Santa Clara, Calif.
Website: (these tools are in stock in their US warehouse:)
http://tools.karnaf.com/products.html
Importer of Ralph Martindale machetes and Chillington eye hoes, spades and
forks

--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net