permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Where are you from?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kelly Finigan" <kfinigan@telus.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Where are you from?
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:28:16 -0700

Robert:

a few plants I like for color (keep in mind I'm in USDA Zone 3 - maybe your
area is too hot?)

anise hyssop - beautiful lavender / blue spikes; perennial, edible leaves in
salad or tea; attracts insects
yarrow - white, red or pink; great for cuts and in the compost pile
borage - self-seeding, blue and purple/pink flowers; edible flowers, bees
love it
calendula - self-seeding; yellow, orange; edible flowers, good for balms and
salves
wild strawberry - ground cover with white flowers; berries
columbine - various colors; edible
campanula species - purple, blue flowers; edible flowers
hollyhock & other mallows - big showy, various colors; edible
runner beans - bright red flowers on climber
violets & pansies - mostly purple and yellows; edible leaves and flowers
chives, garlic chives, nodding onion, tree onions etc - all edible with
interesting flower heads;

I also think asparagus and rhubarb are pretty plants...but maybe that's just
me! And then there's comfrey - donkey ear leaves with tall flower
spikes...but once you plant it, its yours forever...

ciao,
Kelly