permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: big ag in Pc

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: big ag in Pc
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 09:09:22 -0500

<< Does anyone else think high brix = better food = better soils, and brix is
the magic

number that can distinguish the organic farmers market produce from the

supermarket? If we could charge more for high brix food because it

tastes better and is better for you, it would be easier to move

mainstream ag.>>

This whole subject is so complex that it cries out for some sort of widely
accepted standard that is backed up by solid research. And it must be
relatively easy to do effective low cost tests that can somehow be certified.

Not that hard really. Brix is just a measure of soluble sugars. Similar measures of quality include dry matter content or density at a known volume.

The more I read the more confusing it gets. If we start from the soil then
almost all soils even those on organic farms are inherently differently due
to types, region, and even micro climates. Then there are differences in soil
life, fungi, etc., and often complex relationships with compost, fertilizers,
rainfall, humidity, drought, symbiotic relationships and on and on.

It would be fantastic if we could actually agree and prove a quality system
based upon sound science that rewards those who produce best tasting,
nutrient rich, wholesome foods. I also think that folks who use organic, PC,
biodynamic methods are far more likely to do well in such a system.

Don't make it too complex. IF you feed the soil properly it improves, if you don't it declines. Granted each site needs a little work initially (soil tests, breaking out compaction etc.), but once you have a good plan its just a matter of diligence.

My gut feeling though is that such a system while theoretically of great
benefit might prove to be a marketing nightmare!

Thats why folks put up with all the hassles of organic certification.

Just my two cents:) Frank