permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: big ag in Pc

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Diver <steved@ncatark.uark.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: big ag in Pc
  • Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 09:26:12 -0500

Greetings Frank -

You mention "proven PC techniques that work."

Well, I'm a bit befuddled by all this continued emphasis on
some great need to understand this. To me, it is already
exists from many sources and channels of information.

Sheet mulching, contour hedgerows, windbreaks, agroforestry,
chisel plowing, etc. This information exists, and now with
the web, it is so much easier to access than just 6-7 years
ago.

A program like ATTRA helps farmers sift through the volumes
of information, and provides a synopsis of the key points along
with resource listings, so you get a practical resource packet to
get your started. Of course, ATTRA is now just one of many
helpful organizations and resources, including this Permaculture
list which has a mountain of archives to support the needs of
permaculture.

I don't see techniques being a limiting factor for farmers
or gardeners. Not in a long shot. Techniques of farming
are centuries old. Now, organic farming and permaculture
style techniques are out there and ready to use in an instant.

The limiting factor to adoption of techniques is time, finances,
and resources (equipment, labor, products), and market
forces. These items are the major constraints to economically
and ecologically viable farms and homesteads.

Permaculture does something else, in my mind. It draws
a relationship between elements and components and
techniques and concepts and ecology to create some
form of synergy. Ultimately, there are two primary benefits
of permaculture. One, a small ecological foot and therefore
little impact on worldwide resource consumption and
pollution. Two, the farm or homestead itself is more
energy efficient, enjoyable, beautiful, synergetic, ecologically
integrated, and productive.

John from Massachusetts made a suggestion last week which
I feel you should really explore. He suggested that you
host a weekend Pc workshop and/or Pc Design Charette.

You really need this kind of group interaction, and especially
if you can bring in a Pc teacher such as our Pc Activist friends
in North Carolina or some other teachers in the Eastern U.S.

That is how I see your future emerging with the strongest
force and impact on how you feel about your land and
how you see your land emerging into an integrated whole,
with a Pc design to help you frame your approach.

Best,
Steve Diver
ATTRA