permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: big ag in Pc

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: big ag in Pc
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 07:33:34 EDT

Good day:)
In a message dated 8/31/02 4:09:04 PM, charles@growfood.org writes:

<< 1) Start a research organisation similar to ATTRA but it would be devoted

Permaculture.

It would give farmers of all scales, information on well proven techniques

for their bio-region. We

would also start a library of research that has been done on techniques such

as alley-cropping

silviculture, mechanical harvesting of perrenial polycultures, agroforestry

etc. These studies

would be made available to farmers in a simplified practical format.

2) The development of a software program that can bring together the

enormous amount of

information that a farmer needs to consider. From this info, the program

could reccomend

how the farmer can minimize their inputs, reccomend remediation strategies

etc. We could napsterize

Cargill, Archer Daniels Midland, Monsanto, etc........ ;)

Whattaya reckon??

Excellent post, Charles!

I strongly agree, especially with paragraph 1. Somehow we need to set up some
bioregional that will give farmers details on PROVEN PC techniques that will
work.

We don't need to place additional burdens on those sympathetic to PC, and
sustainable ag by having them "reinvent the wheel". God is in the DETAILS.

USDA/State Foresters can help private woodland owners set up a Forest
Improvement and management Plan, which serves as a blue print for necessary
actions.

Sure wish I had a PC plan tailored to my farm, and region. I can make
decisions fairly easily when I'm presented with options, and rationales. But
it's so tough making decisions when you must start from scratch.

As a newcomer to farming I'm finding out that it's even far more complicated
than I'd imagined...and I realized it WAS complicated:)

Just finding reliable products at reasonable cost is tough. Maybe we should
start such a database. Lord...it would be a heck of a lot easier to simply
look things up on a comprehensive PC approved(perhaps too strong a word) list
complete with latest pricing, specs, comments, etc.

Another valuable database would be one tailored to applications. So a person
could simply ID his application and then receive details on construction,
costs, plans, etc., based on latest PC thought.

This wiki concept I've been reading about, but know little about, seems to
offer a means.

I'm finding simple ideas, and concepts, which one can easily espouse are NOT
so simple in execution! Details, reliable product info, business
contacts/phone, etc., are often hard to come by ...especially in rural areas.

There are few consumer guides on most of these products:( So often you must
rely on company literature, others opinions/advice.

Take for instance Rotational Grazing and Electric Fence. Almost everyone
seems to agree this is the way to go. Wouldn't it be great to get best PC
advice on same.

Like is available on the Internet for Digital Cameras. They give consumer
detailed specs, comparisons, a number of reviews to read, pros, and cons that
allow you to make a more informed decisions based upon your needs, and wa
llet:)

In the end no matter how much one wants to incorporate PC into a larger farm
plan the cost of the overall plan must be known from the beginning. And if
the overall cost is too great then other PC options which can be incorporated
should be made known.

We must also consider the limits of labor...since it is becoming increasingly
difficult to find good help when you need it at reasonable cost.

Got to go. Appreciate all the good comments, suggestions, and lively
discussion this topic has brought up. Best to all. Frank