permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: big ag in PC

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: big ag in PC
  • Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 10:23:20 -0500

At 11:22 PM 9/2/02 -0700, you wrote:
> >Since Pc
> >is a design process doesn't there need to be ongoing design for it to
> >exist. Results are not Pc and the techniques are not Pc.
>
> Might just be my predilections here, but these semantic issues seem silly
> to me. It's all close enough for me to be PC.

Ah... that gets to the heart of it. With a relaxed definition of Pc we
might view others as purists and feel more comfortable workng with
industrial ag. That would make me a purist.

jeff (wondering if Pc is fragmenting?)

I'll just lay one more idea on you, PC is a collection of design concepts which are found in other design systems or disciplines from ecology to landscape architecture. I find little use in trying to box these valuable ideas into one movement or system. Perhaps my use of PC as a verb ("to permaculture something up a bit") is a little fast and loose for some, but it is movement in the right direction. OK two thoughts; I have also noted a lot of found PC. Rotational grazing farms with intact diverse fence rows are PC without design. Being able to see such situations and build from them is the best in low work PC IMO.