permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Money, copyright and stuff (rambles a bit)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Thilo Pfennig <tp@alternativ.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Money, copyright and stuff (rambles a bit)
  • Date: 29 Mar 2002 23:12:15 +0100

On Fri, 2002-03-29 at 11:02, Graham Burnett wrote:

> Eg, my 'Permaculture A Beginners Guide' represents 4 years of unpaid work
> writing, researching, producing the artwork, attending courses, learning to
> understand DTP, etc, and I feel I'm entitled to a little payback now,

Well, who pays me for my efforts, allthough they are not in print? An
effort and a payback do not ever relate. You can only argue that you
have a good you offer. Some people get payed for no effort or they have
luck. And some people with bad luck are born in countries were they
could work till death without any substantial payback! If your good is
seens as worthwhile, people will give you something for it (in fact it
is a litte bit more complicated with books and publishing). They would
also give you money without your efforts if they just think it is worth
the money. Our society does not pay for efforts! One might think that,
but this is not the case.

> person or organisation is in a position to pay, some financial return would
> be very welcome if not an expectation.

Who does not welcome this? :-)

> Sorry for the ramble- I guess this whole copyright/money issue presses alot
> of personal buttons with me, with thinking that instinctively goes along
> with Jeff & Thilo, but also links into my own historical tendency to
> 'undersell' myself and my works, and the conscious efforts I'm (not always
> successfully) putting into trying to overcome that tendency...

I am confident that one of the core problems on our world is, that many,
many people are trying to get the best for themselves and on the other
hand people are scared of "giving away". We ask "What do I get back from
this?" This is a justified question. There are always people that do
abuse us - take things from us and use it for themeselves. Or to foster
their career. But we should not orientate ourselves on those natures.

Does somebody here know the story about one folk, that had one habit:
They present each other little pieces of fur every day. So every fur
circled arround. One day somebody came and asked what would happen, if
sou give away your fur and do not get a new one - you would be without
any fur peace.
And the people began to hoard their furs and not giving them away. On
that point their social system broke down because enviousness came up
and took control. Regrettably I do not know the whole end but I think
there were two seperated groups: One came back to the old habit and the
others don't. But the social peace was gone.

I like thios story, because it nicely and simple shows the problem with
property and income.

--
Thilo Pfennig
http://www.alternativ.net/edv/