permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Biogas/Jean Pain - shaved, not chipped

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Biogas/Jean Pain - shaved, not chipped
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 14:17:19 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

An important item on Jean Pain's work - from Peter Bane's article in PC
Activist and another source that I can't recall at the moment - Pain's
research showed that the woody material worked much better when
*shaved* (e.g. shredded lengthwise, more or less) rather than chipped
(cut crosswise). I read that all of the so-called "chipper/shredders"
commonly sold in the USA are really just "chippers" - hammer mills of
one sort or another - and that none of them actually shave (shred
lengthwise) the material in the way that Pain found most effective. So
trying his methods with a (mere ;-) chipper might not produce all that
great of results.

=====
John Schinnerer, MA