permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Biogas digester plans

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Jeff Hall" <JRHALL@gwgate.lib.iastate.edu>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Biogas digester plans
  • Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 17:02:28 -0600

My understanding from an independent researcher who had tried to develop a
small farm scale biogas system for many years is that temperate climates are
a huge obstacle to small scale biogas systems. The most efficient microbes
are very picky about temperature, so you need a very warm and stable space
for them to do their work. I think thats the reason many have tried and only
a few systems in the warmest climates have actually succeeded...
This researcher attempted below ground, hoop houses, many ideas before giving
up.
If I'm wrong, I'm glad I about it:)
-Jeff Hall, Ames Iowa